“The Student Film Festival provided me with the opportunity to engage in competitive creativity through taking on the responsibility of developing and completing a project with friends. It was an amazing outlet for me as a teenager and was very much a cornerstone of my high school years. Without the Sequim Education Foundation supporting the Film Festival, I, in many ways, wouldn’t have developed into who I am today.”
Jack Simmons, Past Film Festival Winner
Film Festival Event: 7:00 PM Friday, April 20, 2018 SHS Auditorium
The scope of the Student Film Festival Competition is to showcase work of public school students for nonprofit educational purposes. Student entries will be expressed in video format. Videos shall be judged on the basis of Creativity, Academic and Educational Value, as well as, Demonstrated Technical Ability in Video Production, Music, Sound and Lighting. All middle and high school students enrolled in Sequim School District (SSD) No.323 will be eligible to participate.
- General Films: All films will be considered in this category.
- Special Award Categories: If you will be competing for one of the following additional $50 prizes, you must choose your category (one) on the entry form; we must have at least two entries per category to be considered for a prize.
- School Spirit: Documentary on a school club or organization. All clubs and organizations which have an ASB account with SSD No. 323 will be eligible to participate. All prize money awarded to winners of this type of video will go to the club or organization.
- Commercial: create a commercial for a local business
- Animation (high school students may include GoAnime in this category)
- Music Video
- GoAnime (Middle School only)
- Awards given to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winning films in the General Films Category.
Additional $50 award given to the 1st place winning film of each of the above Special Categories!
1st Place – $500 Cash!
2nd Place – $300 Cash!
3rd Place – $150 Cash!
Submission Guidelines: Any violation may result in disqualification by Sequim Education Foundation.
- Videos cannot exceed five minutes in length (including credits) and must be created after June 2017.
- CD, DVD, Flash Drive or Memory Card must play in Windows Media Player.
- English language or English subtitles.
- No profanity, nudity, portrayals of alcohol, tobacco, drug use, or gore.
- Minimal violence. SEF reserves the right to omit films with weapons and/or violence. Feel free to contact Christy Ditlefsen at email@example.com with any questions you may have.
- Video Production Teams must include at least one eligible student member. Limited adult assistance is allowed. Paid or professional assistance will disqualify an entry.
- Eligible students may not serve on more than one Video Production Team.
- Owner’s permission shall be obtained prior to using any copyrighted material and music.
- Model Releases must be obtained for all persons filmed that are not listed team members.
Judging: Videos winning 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place will be determined by an independent panel of judges appointed by Sequim Education Foundation (SEF). The video winning the “Elkie” Award will be decided by SEF on the basis of audience response and presented to the winning Video Production Team’s school.
Entries Due: Completed Video and Entry & Release Form must be submitted to Christy Ditlefsen in Room A4 at Sequim High School by 4:00 PM on Monday April 9, 2018.
Information and Forms – Download the entry form to learn more about the festival and enter your film. A model release form is required for all those in your film.